A couple of facts: (1) because of Tessa's severe disabilities, she requires the assistance of a one-on-one paraprofessional at all times and (2) the school district plans to hire our nanny full-time w/ part of her duties being Tessa's para while she attends the district's Disability program 3 afternoons a week (3) the tuition for the Early Childhood program is $400 a month (we paid the same for Parker to attend).
I have been studying, and I know IEPs and Tessa's rights, but here's the district's stance:
They will not put the Early Childhood program on Tessa's IEP. Which means, she is allowed to attend the program IF (1) Darin and I find another person that would qualify to be Tessa's para while she attended the program (because the district will be using our hired nanny elsewhere), (2) IF Darin and I pay that paraprofessional's salary to attend the program with Tessa and (3) IF Darin and I also pay the $400 tuition a month required by the program.
FACT: Neither money nor qualified paras/nannies grow on trees.
If the school district put this Early Childhood program on Tessa's IEP for all of the many reasons it will help her achieve her goals, then they would (1) be required to give her a FAPE (free appropriate public education) which means (a) they would have to allow Tessa's para to assist her in both programs which would mean her full-time employment duties would strictly be as Tessa's one-on-one para, (b) they would have to provide transportation for Tessa from the school that houses the Early Childhood program to the school that houses the Disability program and (c) they would have to cover the monthly tuition required by the Early Childhood program.
It's a shame. All these laws to help children with disabilities have the same fighting chance in their educational opportunities...and yet apparently all it takes is a group saying that they don't feel a program belongs on an IEP to strip a precious little girl from enjoying the same opportunities and experiences enjoyed by her typically developing peers.
I would say we have lost this fight...but, to not have Tessa in your life and experience the pure joy that comes from her life...that is heartbreaking and that is their devastating loss.
~Whitney
No comments:
Post a Comment