We are coming up on a year since finding out Tessa's Congenital CMV diagnosis and the creation of our blog. In just two weeks from today, it will have been a year since we were sent over to the hospital after what we thought would be a simple trip to see Tessa's pediatrician for antibiotics to help clear up an ear infection.
There is much to be celebrated coming up on this 'one-year-anniversary', but as with many things, with the joy comes a level of sorrow. I have been re-living that painfully lonely walk down the long hallway of the PICU, into the conference room, with a pediatric neurologist and the hospital's critical care pediatrician. The conversation included the discussion of the results of a CT Scan that showed significant calcifications on Tessa's brain and that these calcium deposits were indicative of a virus called Cytomegalovirus, aka: CMV. The amount of damage on Tessa's brain was enough for the doctors to conclude that she was probably exposed to the virus within the first 20 weeks gestation. Needless to say, a devastating conversation for her Mommy and Daddy.
The days to follow would reveal all of the elements of Tessa's diagnoses due to the CMV infection: epilepsy, cerebral palsy, profound bilateral hearing loss and cortical visual impairment (CVI).
To this day I get a lump in my throat when I write or speak about these things...but the summary of her diagnoses does not even touch the amazing and delightful little girl that Tessa is and the joy that she brings to our lives!!
I thought I'd create this particular post as a guestbook, of sorts. After almost a year of postings, we would absolutely love to know who you are, whether follower or visitor, so please tell us!! How are you connected to us? How did you find us? Why do you read? Where are you from? Are you just passing through or have you been along for this year-long journey?
It will be incredible one day to share your comments with Tessa, so she will know and truly understand the impact she has had, the divine purpose God has given her and just how much she is loved! If you prefer to just leave your name, that is perfect...for those of you that want to fill up the comment space...that is fabulous too! I will put this post as a link on the side panel, so as we get new visitors, they can sign in too!
This is the journey of our BynumFour...whether highs or lows...we strive to strengthen our faith and trust in the sovereignty of our Lord.
~Whitney
Darin says: This sounds really cool. I hope people comment, because I think that would be so neat to see everyone do it.
ReplyDeleteI am not sure how to say what is on my heart... I remember the phone call from Darin about Tessa being very sick, at the hospital, and not sure what was happening. We were traveling home from Garland, TX... a mission's conference we had attended. I told Grandpa.... we stopped and prayed right there in the car. Later, after getting home, Darin called and let us know what the tests were showing. To say the least, we were all devastated, and unsure about it all. Prayers everywhere started going up for our little granddaughter, Tessa! And...they have not stopped this whole year. We see more and more people praying for our little angel. We are so blessed by all of you! I know that God knows all and works in all situations. He certainly has done that for Tessa... and for her loving Mom and Dad, and brother, Parker! Tessa continues, with God's loving hand upon her, to accomplish some amazing progress. We just stand amazed! We thank you Lord!!! For everything, the lows and the highs! Our hearts are so touched. We love you, Tessa! We love you Parker! We love you Darin and Whitney!
ReplyDeleteGrandma and Grandpa Bynum
Whitney, this is a wonderful idea. What a blessing it is to watch you and Darin follow hard after the Lord. He has GREAT plans for Miss Tessa. It has been pure joy to watch her grow, and I love my little perfect cousin so so much! Thank you for every update; thank you for allowing the rest of us to be a part of this journey.
ReplyDeleteLove you!
Paige
Whitney - Thank you so much for allowing me to watch Tessa's journey! Just as I am awed and amazed how God has worked in our lives through Noah it is the same as I watch you and your family! Ya'll are continually in my prayers!
ReplyDeleteLove ya'll,
Trish
Whitney, we don't know each other well, but I have been following your journey with great interest (and usually with tears in my eyes) for a few months now. I am in awe of God's work in your life. I am in awe of the supernatural strength and wisdom and beauty of spirit that you have been given by Him. It is a beautiful and inspiring thing to see the joys, the blessings, and even the struggles that you and your family experience because you always give God the glory. It is truly a privilege and a blessing to me to have this little window into your lives as a witness to God's amazing love, provision, and miracles. Thank you for your blog! Most warmly, Lena Hunt
ReplyDeleteSweet Bynum four, we are very new to your journey, yet already so touched and inspired. We are blessed having you all as new family friends at CRBC.
ReplyDeleteI'm not even sure you'd remember me. I knew your family from church and was in Hillarie's class at AHS. She shared a link to your blog some time ago, asking for prayers for your family. I've been following via rss since then. Your kids are each so beautiful, and you're doing a great job learning how to meet their needs. Thanks for inviting us to pray with you.
ReplyDeleteKatie Gleason
I am Terresa in Texas, Aunt Christy's mom. I have been alohng for the ride from the beginning and so love keeping up with your struggles and accomplishments. Thank you for sharing. As you know Christy has diabetes and was diagnosed at 4 years of age. I think it is important to stress that she is NOT a diabetic. She is a wonderful person who happens to have a disease called diabetes. In the same way I do not see Tessa as a disabled person, but rather as a very special child with certain disabilities. The disabilities do not define her. She defines what is possible!
ReplyDeleteIrma Englant, Ulysses Ks.
ReplyDeleteTo the precious Bynum four, I've been with you from the beginning praising the Lord with each step He takes with you. Karen shares with us here in Ulysses and we love it. Praising the Lord for His work in your lives.
Hi....It's Ms. Ardel......I didn't know Tessa very well..except seeing her when Darin would bring Parker into my class every morning. But that little girl has touched my heart! Her struggles, her braveness, her courage, her victories...she is amazing! I think of her and all of you every day...,and each of you are in my daily prayers....,,.may God continue to bless and watch over your family...and Tessa's amazing journey in this life!!! Ms. Ardel
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing how your family is doing, i have been keeping up with your blog and our prayers are with you all, we hope to meet Tessa and Parker soon. Your great uncle Richard and great aunt Jeanie Whitlow
ReplyDeleteBynum family, my name is Shayna and I live in Lubbock, TX. I have been following your journey from the beginning. I can't remember how I stumbled upon your blog, but I am so glad that I did! Your positive attitude and focus on The Lord has been nothing short of inspiring! And you've gotta love pictures of those precious Tessa smiles!! I am so excited to see what the future holds for mighty Tessa and your brave family!
ReplyDeleteDear Tessa, Uncle Tim and I got to come the day after you were born and meet you! You were so small and we loved you so big! We were so excited to meet you from the minute your mommy and daddy said they were going to have you in April, 2010. We've been praying for you since day one and we will continue to pray for you. You have taught us so many lessons about perseverance and just being a joy to those around you. Thank you for your sweet spirit and inspiration. You are a very important person and we couldn't imagine life without you! Love, Aunt Christy.
ReplyDeletehello, my name is shannon gaines. I know Lacy from alva. My husband and her did some speaking at the high school where they shared some of their life stories.But today on facebook lacy mentioned your blog and how great it was, so here I am.After reading and seeing your wonderful pictures I might just be hooked.It is never easy for a parent to get a diagnosis. Sept 28th,2009 God blessed us with kian. Kian has down syndrome. One of the first thoughts to go through my head was "what did I do wrong". But it didn't take long for us to realize that it wasn't what we did wrong,but what we did right! God could have given kian to any family, but he gave him to us. He is Gods child and we have been called upon to take care of him.There is no doubt in my mind that God will use Kian to bless other people and show them that his life is a life worth living.I will continue to read about your family and their journey. God bless
ReplyDeleteG
You guys are the best neighbors we could have ever asked for. It's been a blessing and a blast living next to you!!!!! And now I can keep up with you :). If there were more people in this world like you guys, it would be a much easier kinder place. Always in our prayers and thoughts. ....Aaron and Lisa.
ReplyDeleteThanks for all of the updates! I admire you and your little family so much and the way you love each other, trust God, and continually move forward. I can't believe how big the kids have gotten, it melts my heart to see the love Parker has for his sister!! Tessa's smile is electric and she is so beautiful!! God Bless you all and continue to watch over your family. You are all in my prayers. Love you guys, Beth A, Amarillo.
ReplyDeleteI probably can't count the number of times I have shared your blog with others. I have it set as a favorite so I can just copy and paste it in whenever I want. Especially your entry about babywearing. It is a beautiful example of your parenting of Tessa. She's included and loved and so happy! I absolutely loved seeing her giggle and won't forget that.
ReplyDelete