Ten tiny toes...Ribbons and Bows...We marvel at the wonder
as our sweet Tessa grows!

Tuesday, October 20, 2015

'Skills' 2 Years Ago Today

I love this video!! Along with making me smile, I will share some of what it stirs in my heart:
Two years ago today I posted this video with the caption "This girl is developing mad fine motor skills! All that hard work for some broccoli ;)"
Truth is, it definitely makes me SMILE, but it also makes me realize the comings and goings of 'skills' that Tessa develops. As of this summer, she has been on a seizure med that has stolen her appetite and her motivation to show us these 'skills'. It is hard to process videos from 2 years ago in which your child can actually do more...there's a spark that now seems missing.
I've pondered over this a few times in the last several months. We were told the day of her diagnosis..."her brain damage will not get worse, but it will seem that way because of the expectations we have as she grows".
Tessa wasn't on near the amount of seizure medication 2 years ago as she is now. Tessa's spasticity wasn't near as severe 2 years ago as it is today. In this video, there is a freedom about Tessa that is very clear to me. If you had asked me if I saw this 'freedom' 2 years ago, I would have said no, but today, I do.
Tessa is trapped in a body that doesn't work quite like she needs it to work. Physical growth for her can cause added hardships and pain. Seizures and spasticity are at risk to worsen...not improve over time. It's for all of these reasons, and so many more, that we strive to provide Tessa with the best experiences possible today. If only I had a magic wand to add a little freedom and sparkle back to Tessa's life each and every day! 

This little girl gives more than she receives and it is an absolute JOY to watch God work in and through her life!




Psalm 139:14
"I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful, I know that full well."

~Whitney

No comments:

Post a Comment