Ten tiny toes...Ribbons and Bows...We marvel at the wonder
as our sweet Tessa grows!

Wednesday, December 18, 2013

What Fills My Heart This Season

I have been absent.  Not in my life...but here on my blog where I enjoy capturing moments and memories....just wish there were a few more hours in the day sometimes to carve out opportunities to jot things down.

There is a theme of busy-ness that surrounds us these days.  And this year I have found myself increasingly more aware of how I would like for things to be flowing in my life...aware of the things I want my heart full of and the things I don't.  Being busy is part of life, but the important thing for me, is awareness of where all the effort goes...inward or outward...for me or for others...a spirit of want or a spirit of giving.

The never-ending-questions over the last several days have been "so are you ready for Christmas? got all your shopping done?"  The questions themselves are not irritating, but I am finding myself stubborn to respond to them with the progress of my shopping and lingering to-dos.  Instead, I am feeling drawn to express the heaviness in my heart for those special families that I am aware of that have had to say goodbye to their little ones this time of year.  This season has the heartbreaking tendency to cause these perfect storms of illness and weakness that disrupt and often take the precious little lives God has entrusted to us.  The reality of my child's fragile body is a constant, ever-present reality, and I strive to not let it keep me from living life now...today; but it is a reality that brings heaviness to my heart for those families that have walked this path...and it has an effect, even from a distance.  Distance can cause the appearance of limitation...but distance doesn't have to limit love, kindness, genuineness, connection and empathy.  I am thankful a heavy heart brings awareness of this in my life.

I am thankful for the gift of a new day every morning.  Another opportunity to show my kids and husband how much I love them.  Sometimes the new day means I get another chance ~ a chance to take my grumpy pants off and put my happy pants on ;)  I will fail every day.  I will be selfish every day.  But I will also fight every day to be thankful for my children and my husband, for every healthy day that's put in front of us, for opportunities to embrace the blessings of this life.  I will fight to be thankful for the second chances I get to look outward, to love others, to approach life with a genuine spirit of giving.  I want to take time each day and pray for the families trudging through times that I can't imagine...because they are around us each and every day.

I am grateful for this perspective of living right now and no further than right in front of you.  Jesus' birth calls for celebration.  Remembering the day He came to earth as baby, to live among us...to love us...and to pay the ultimate price for us by dying on a cross for us.  I hope and pray that what this Christmas season does for me, is remind me of the ways we were called to love and care for each other, just as Christ loves us.

I was reminded yesterday to be thankful for and blessed by the things that fill up our hearts.  Parker has always been careful and particular about what fills his heart...and when we do that, I believe the Lord is able to make beautiful things of us.  

~Whitney

No comments:

Post a Comment