Ten tiny toes...Ribbons and Bows...We marvel at the wonder
as our sweet Tessa grows!

Thursday, July 30, 2015

Gofundme Update #1

fa·mil·iar 
adjective 
1. 
well known from long or close association. 
2. 
in close friendship; intimate. 

We took a road trip this past weekend to visit family and I noticed something...our trip overall was great, but the longer we were gone, the more Tessa's sweet smile began to fade. It has been awhile since we've traveled and Tessa's needs have changed significantly. We first noticed these changes in our planning of what to pack for her...what to take for sleeping arrangements, bath time, equipment for outings, etc. But it wasn't until about half way through the trip that I realized Tessa's spirit was changing. Our visits were full of baby brother Weston introductions of course, but I don’t think that necessarily had Tessa bothered...I think she missed her familiar. This picture captures the exact moment that I fully realized this for her. We had spent the day out and about with family with Tessa either in her car seat or her wheelchair and that evening I decided to load her up in her carrier for an evening walk. Then it happened…those SMILES! I had missed them terribly that day and the minute I started loading her up for the walk, they returned. Not only did they return, but those precious smiles lasted throughout the entire walk. Tessa and I talked, tickled feet, held hands, rubbed noses and giggled lots. Tessa was in her familiar, very happy place. 

I’ve been thinking a lot about that moment and how it relates to this next year of school for Tessa. She will be returning to her familiar, very happy place!! She will have a new set of Pre-K 3 classmates and a new para on Mondays and Wednesdays, but her teacher will be the same, her classroom the same, the same para on Tues, Thurs and Friday…the same hallways, the same routine…familiar. I hate it when it takes some time for me to catch on to what Tessa might be dealing with…to what is impacting her emotions, what she might be thinking or needing. Like on our trip…it was half way in before I fully realized she needed me to help provide her with her familiar. But one thing we know for sure is that returning to St. John Nepomuk for the 2015-2016 school year feels like exactly what we are supposed to help provide for her. 

Tessa may be non-verbal, but her smile is the most effective communication in the world for us! When there are so many times that we miss the mark…fail to interpret her wants, needs and desires…we are thankful for the clarity we have about decisions we make with confidence that her smile will return! 



~Whitney

No comments:

Post a Comment