We have been incredibly blessed by the individuals that God has put in our lives to love and care for our kiddos. I have been asked many times, in the course of my 10 years at my job, how in the world I have made the decision (3 times now ;) to come back to work. As for everyone, it is a very personal decision, and one I have found the specifics rarely replicated. But one thing I am very quick to share, is the impact it has had on my life to watch others love my children.
Tessa had an incredible experience at school yesterday that speaks perfectly to this impact on my life. I will share more of my thoughts, but first I want to copy in a bit of a 'Thank You' note from Tessa's teacher to the students in the SJN band:
"I wanted to send a little message to thank all of the AMAZING band kids for sharing their talents with us today! As I brought our class into the gym, I had no idea what a blessing that short, 20 minute assembly would be. This is the FIRST time we have ever seen Tessa engaged and excited over the music playing! She CLAPPED-YES, CLAPPED to the music each time the band would play a song!!!! In the two years she has been with us we have never seen Tessa actually clap along with music as we did today. PLEASE share with your band students how much fun we had and how they made a HUGE impact in Tessa's little world today. I was truly blown away by watching her clap and it brought tears to my eyes watching her smile,giggle and enjoy the music. THANK YOU for sharing their talents with our school Ms. Angelo!!!! Today was a big milestone for one of our little friends. :)
Feeling blessed today!
Mrs. Croom"
This was indeed a thrilling FIRST for Tessa. And what has impacted me about this incredible experience Tessa had at school, is the fact that a very precious mother of one of Tessa's classmates, took the time to video this very special moment so that she could share it with us.
Videos:
God has placed the MOST incredible people in our lives to love and care for our children. There are so many details that came together for this FIRST for Tessa. I am usually rather discreet in what I publish, but I just can't help but add some specifics to help help describe this beautiful equation of love. I'll put it together in a timeline of sorts to help outline the beauty:
June 2011 - Tessa received her 1st cochlear implant
June 2012 - Tessa's received her 2nd cochlear implant
Without the incredible staff at Hearts for Hearing from activation day and throughout therapy, Tessa would not have HEARD the band playing the songs during the pep rally!
June 2014 - Tessa's acceptance into St. John Nepomuk for her first year in their Pre-K 3 program with Mrs. Croom
Without the incredible administration at SJN and the Archdiocese, Tessa would not be COMFORTABLE and THRIVING in an environment where she feels at home and LOVED!
August 2014 - Mrs. Croom becomes Tessa's Pre-K 3 teacher and is the most incredible teacher I have ever met. She has embraced and loved Tessa and has created the most amazing learning environment for our little girl. Without Mrs. Croom, Tessa's experiences of INCLUSION and SUCCESS would not be what they are today!
September 2014 - Mrs. Carroll and Ms. Emily provide the most incredible assistance as Paras for Tessa throughout her school days. They tend to each and every need and are incredible at loving her and encouraging her throughout each and every day.
August 2015 - The amazing Ms. Macee joins Tessa's team and assists Tessa as her para during her school days and is indeed incredible at loving her and encouraging her throughout each and every day.
Without these absolutely amazing women, Tessa would not have the chance to be INCLUDED in a classroom with her peers, PARTICIPATING in each and every part of the day and feeling absolutely LOVED and ENCOURAGED throughout her days.
Yesterday 12.7.2015 - Amanda...a precious mother of one of Tessa's classmates happens to be standing close enough to where Tessa is sitting in her wheelchair to notice her absolute joy and excitement during this 20 minute pep rally assembly and takes a video so that she can share this moment with us...this FIRST in our daughter's life.
Without Amanda, we would have rejoiced in hearing about the experience Tessa had...but we would have 'missed' this moment and maybe struggled to envision how EVERYTHING CAME TOGETHER to allow her to enjoy this incredible FIRST.
When our children can hear the band play, when they are comfortable and thriving in their environment, when they are included and actively participating, when they are encouraged and are experiencing success, when they are surrounded by love...when all these things come together for a little girl that has profound hearing loss and limited movement and control over her body...she CLAPS...for the Very. FIRST. Time.
~Whitney

No comments:
Post a Comment