Ten tiny toes...Ribbons and Bows...We marvel at the wonder
as our sweet Tessa grows!

Monday, April 30, 2012

When There's Damage...

"When there's damage to the brain...things just don't work right."  These were words spoken to me fairly recently that I just can't seem to get off my mind.  They were not spoken insensitively or hatefully...just more matter-of-fact like and they've definitely had me thinking.

At a recent follow up visit for Tessa, we were inquiring about her teeth.  They have seemed different for quite some time...the color is different, sometimes yellow, even after faithfully brushing twice a day.  Sometimes they are almost see-through.  It has been bothering me and I had it on my list of 'things to ask' at her next appointment.  I just wanted to make sure we were doing the right things to help her have healthy teeth.  When I first brought it up, the doctor snickered ever so slightly, and I asked "so, do you agree that her teeth are different?"  He said "yes, they are definitely different, but they are working just fine for her and they aren't necessarily an indication of what her permanent teeth will be like." He went on to explain that the lack of fluoride due to the limited kinds of foods she has been exposed to...etc,etc....'fluoride deficient', he says.  He gave us the name of a pediatric dentist to follow up with, but more as an 'if you want to'...not an 'absolutely necessary' kind of thing.  And then, in conclusion, he says "When there's damage to the brain, things just don't work right".

Tessa's doctor is a wonderful doctor.  We like and respect him very much and have gotten increasingly more and more comfortable every time we go see him.  He is very kind, very professional and funny at times.  I was only slightly stunned and momentarily insulted by his concluding statement.  This was a Monday afternoon appointment, and I had just had a really difficult weekend.  I don't have a lot of those...but this one, in particular, was a bit of a doozie.  I had hit an emotional wall...exhausted and discouraged.  For a moment, the last thing I needed was this slightly sarcastic, slightly humorous, but mainly matter-of-fact statement thrown in my face....OR MAYBE it was exactly what I needed.

It didn't take long before these words evolved in my head...they went from addressing matters of the brain...to matters of the heart.  For a week now I've been thinking "When there's damage to the heart...things just don't work right."  I understand the point Tessa's doctor was trying to make...we can't get caught up in all the little details of how and why things are functioning a certain way.  And after the emotional wall I hit last weekend, I'm realizing that I can't get all wrapped up in the details of life that have me exhausted and discouraged.  When our hearts are damaged and in such need of repair, there is only one focus....only one detail that matters and that is The Healer of our hearts.  Christ died on the cross for us so that our hearts could be restored of joy, hope and strength.  The damage that sin does to our hearts, definitely makes things ~ just not work right.

I am so thankful that the Lord weaves together the things in my life to continually reveal His love and His grace for me.  There is damage to Tessa's brain that causes things both explained and unexplained, but more importantly, is that Christ died for us to make us whole and He will carry both the explained and unexplained if we surrender it all to Him.

~Whitney

1 comment:

  1. Whitney,
    what wisdom the Lord has given you. I am so proud of where you are at in your life and had to say, "you hit the nail on the head!"

    ReplyDelete