Ten tiny toes...Ribbons and Bows...We marvel at the wonder
as our sweet Tessa grows!

Thursday, August 23, 2012

Summer and Therapy!

Darin, Parker and Tessa had a busy busy summer.  And before I go any further, mad props to Daddy for his dedication and hard work with both Tessa and Parker all summer long.
Part of their weekly routine over the summer was a Friday co-treat therapy appointment at The Children's Center for Speech-Feeding and OT.  I was so glad I had a few opportunities to go and be a part.  It was definitely a little distracting to have the whole family there for therapy, but it's always important to me to be a part of things whenever I can.  It was so exciting to see Tessa's progress and to see what she'll do for her therapists.  Sometimes I know I take it a little easy on her in the realms of eating and drinking because I still feel like I'm trying to gauge what she can handle.  Well, after a few tag-alongs to therapy...let's just say, I'm a little more inclined to make things a bit more challenging for her now ;)

Tessa's therapists are so great and these co-treat appointments are by far, some of the hardest work Tessa does.  To realize what all it takes for her to sit up, hold her head up, balance herself, chew, swallow, and drink...it's so much, and she makes me so proud.

These first pictures are from July 6th.  She had some vanilla pudding with some granola and cereal mixed in.  Then she had juice from the Nuby cup, some yogurt melts and she also drank from her pink cup without a lid.










Tessa is definitely a little resistant to things unfamiliar to her and sometimes it's a little hard to tell if she is being resistant and trying to push things away, or if she's actually trying to help participate in what's going on ;)
We all get a little resistant when things are hard...perfectly normal there! 


This is her helping....such a BIG girl!!


And so proud of herself after getting a drink :)





 Yogurt melts = the look of disgust on her face. 
If it's not on a spoon, and it's coming at her in your fingers...how dare you!
And if you're trying to put it in her fingers...you done lost yo mind!!!






Tessa worked so hard and did wonderful!  
It makes me tired just watching how hard she works sometimes.


This next set is from July 20th and I actually thought to take some video this time around.  This particular Friday was "Chocolate Friday" and man was it fun and messy!


Chocolate pudding, of course!


And Chocolate Milk...of course!






Let's see...how do we continue transitioning Tessa from bottles to sippy cups....
Chocolate Milk...of course!

Ha ha...notice the now almost empty cup!


This last video is of her eating a yogurt melt presented properly to her on a spoon!
Those are some pretty spectacular chewing skills!

These last few shots were from my last time at therapy.  This time it was Speech-Language first, then separate time for OT after.

Mad props to Daddy, but mad props to Parker too.  Lots of kids spend their summers rather differently than Parker did this year...but he's Tessa's big brother and it's not a role he takes lightly.  Sure there are days where he wishes it wasn't "another" appointment for Tessa, but more times than not, it just is what it is, it's what we do as Tessa's family and he finds his own little ways to show his love and support for his little sister and all her hard work!




I love the opportunities I have to help document Tessa's progress.  Tessa's therapies are hard work, but they are her fun and her social hours too!  She teaches me all the time, that if you have to do it, you might as well put a smile on your face and giggle through the process!


~Whitney

1 comment:

  1. It's so very wonderful to see all of these therapy pictures. Really gives us such a great idea of how everyone involved with Tessa is helping her in so many different ways. Thank you to all those dedicated and loving therapists out there who work so diligently with our precious Tessa! We also know how very much you and Darin and Parker love Tessa and care for her, and have made her life, your life; and yet, a life for each of you too! Together, a family, working together, with God's help and love to love each other, and to love the Lord! I just can't find the right words to express how each of you thrill my heart! Love, Grandma Bynum (Mom/Karen)

    ReplyDelete