I originally posted about Lokomat Therapy here...almost a year ago now...crazy how quickly time passes. We've had some things change in the last couple of months with Tessa's physical therapy, so we decided to finally try and get Tessa into Lokomat therapy. She had an evaluation at OUHSC on Tuesday evening. Since it was an evening appointment, we all went together, and I must say, it was the most exciting family experience we have had in a while. The physical therapist said it was taking closer to two months before she was hearing back from insurance on approvals. She was going to get the evaluation and additional paperwork sent in as soon as possible. Please be in prayer with us that the insurance process will have positive results and that Miss Tessa will be able to have continued therapy sessions using the Lokomat for a long time to come!!
We weren't exactly sure what to expect for the eval appointment...I assumed lots of paperwork and discussions about Tessa (which we did that too), but to our surprise, they gave little Miss some time in the machine and it was amazing! Breathtaking. Incredible to watch our daughter's little body move in a way I literally have never seen before. She was upright and 'walking' right before our eyes. I could not stop smiling.
Parker's reactions were priceless. Once the team got everything prepped and turned on the machine, he said "Mommy, Tessa-Is-Walking. Look, Tessa is WALKING. Oh my goodness." And then after he took it all in for a minute, just staring at what his sister was doing, he said "I can't wait to teach her to play tag!" "I'm gunna be able to teach her to play tag!!" "This is awesome!"
As I choked back tears for love this little boy has for his little sister, and with no desire to stifle his incredible enthusiasm, I just said, "Well bub, it's going to take some time, but that's our goal buddy, that's definitely our goal!"
They started out with some swinging 'play-time' in the air before they officially got started.
They wrapped her legs up with ace bandages to help protect her little legs from the contraption that would eventually go on behind her and around her legs to help facilitate the walking movement.
The look on her face was adorable while she was swinging.
Tessa could tell they were playing and having some fun!
There were 3 individuals helping with the evaluation. Tessa was a bit smitten with the gentlemen that was helping....for most of the time he was standing to her right...hence her preoccupation in that direction in lots of the pictures ;)
See! ;) He was such a sweet guy and we are always so grateful for these kinds of connections Tessa makes. There's just something about a therapy session where Tessa feels instantly loved and cared for.
And come to find out, she may be a bit of a flirt ;)
The whole team that worked with us that night was amazing! Truly amazing. You could see their passion for what they do and their excitement to be apart of a first time opportunity for Miss Tessa. Tessa connected with each and every one of them, and as a parent, you couldn't hope for more.
This picture is when they brought in the machine 'legs' behind her to get her all hooked up.
Being so patient and just soaking it all in.
I mean seriously, look at that face! She didn't mind a bit all the prep work they were having to do to get her ready. She was just taking it all in.
Just like every time before, Tessa was keenly aware of this new experience.
We didn't have a conversation with Tessa about the appointment, prior to, we typically don't do that kind of thing. I guess you could compare it to more of a situation with a 1-2 year old, you just schedule what they need and take them to it...you don't provide explanation. But Miss Tessa just seems to know the minute we arrive. She has such a sense about people and her surroundings, and to us, it is consistently apparent. We all know our kids, what they like, don't like, what they need, when they are uncomfortable...and the same is so intimately true with Tessa. When your child can't tell you, you learn to observe with such intention, because missing a moment could mean missing what they say.
It's obvious by now, I didn't miss a moment...nor did my camera ;)
Every smile...I wanted to capture them and remember them...remember that these kinds of connections do exist and can exist, but we have to be faithful to pursue them.
Tessa's journey is as much about the people in her life that help us and help her, as it is about what she does and the progress she makes.
haha, this one makes me laugh. I was trying to get her to look at me and smile. She might was well be saying "mom, I'm busy, I do not have time for you right now, don't you see all these amazing people around me at the moment"
Stinker!
Still just walking in the air, but getting lowered a little closer to the mat.
Getting something for support behind her head. But man, this girl has come such a long way with her neck and trunk control! It was exciting to see her do so well with limited upper body support!!
Smiles all around.
I think in this one maybe she's finally acknowledging mom...saying "look how big I am!" and in a voice similar to her brother's..."this is awesome!" ;)
Yep, definitely thinking this is pretty awesome!
And now the picture that melts my heart. A team member on each side...holding hands, loving on her and cheering her on the entire time.
and maybe here thinking...."mom this is still super awesome, but ummm, it's super hard work too!" ;)
Can you imagine seeing your feet move below you like you never have before? Me either. But I watched Tessa do this very thing. She was fascinated by what was happening under her. What I would give to hear exactly what she was thinking.....but I think I know.
This picture and the video choke me up. What appears to be lazy head control, I truly believe is Tessa's disbelief at what was happening. I just stood and observed, amazed at the opportunity she was receiving right before me, and witnessing the wheels that were turning behind those precious little eyes of hers, processing that very same amazement.
Waiting patiently to be unharnessed. Look at those long legs! Our little 3 1/2 year old looked so big to us this night. I'm excited for more opportunities to see her this way!
Admiring the device that is allowing her body to feel weightless and be vertical :)
Her acknowledgement as I stood by her telling how great she did and how amazing this experience was for her and us.
She is our big girl. She is loved beyond measure.

Isaiah 40:4-5
Proverbs 3:6
~Whitney





















No comments:
Post a Comment