Ten tiny toes...Ribbons and Bows...We marvel at the wonder
as our sweet Tessa grows!

Thursday, December 30, 2010

Quick Update

They decided to do an Upper GI Test today to determine if Tessa might have issues related to acid reflux disease. The x-rays showed everything to be perfectly normal, which was very good news. If this was something she had been dealing with all these months that we didn't know about, it would have been really great to get her started on medicine to get her feeling better...but we are thankful to not have to add something else to the list of things she's already got going on!

Tessa is dealing with Bronchiolitis, it is a lung infection, often caused by a virus like RSV. They were able to begin slowly weaning her off of the Vapotherm oxygen delivery device this evening. It was functioning at 35% oxygen and at a flow level of 8 liters. The percentage is the amount of oxygen and the liter measurement is basically the level of flow that the oxygen is sent to her. They have reduced the flow level from 8 to 5 liters. Her chest retractions have improved a little today and have remained stable with the flow level change. They still believe she has inflamation and are continuing to give her a steriod to help reduce the inflamation, which in turn, will help reduce the severity of her chest retractions. There is a good chance we will be here through Saturday or even Sunday. After they are able to totally wean Tessa off of the Vapotherm device, she will move over to regular oxygen and begin the process of being weaned from that as well.

We don't anticipate them running any further tests. The goal is to deal with the inflamation in her lungs, totally wean her off all oxygen and no longer see any chest retractions. She'll get there, just not sure when :)

Thanks for all the prayers, encouragement and support!

On a lighter note (just because it makes me laugh when I think about it)-
I asked Darin the other night if I seemed a little crazy when we got to the hospital. I said something like "So, did I do anything like a mad-woman?" His response "Well, You Cut". I was like, "What...I cut?" And he was like "yeah, there were two guys filling out paperwork at the front desk of the Emergency Room and you just like walked up to the desk next to them and said to the nurse what you said". We both just laughed...and I still keep laughing. I guess I just figured: paperwork versus a baby not breathing...maybe it was appropriate to CUT ;)

~Whitney

1 comment:

  1. So good to hear this report...praying for quick recovery. Love that you found some laughter amidst everything that has happened. Love you all so much! Grandma & Grandpa Bynum

    ReplyDelete