Ten tiny toes...Ribbons and Bows...We marvel at the wonder
as our sweet Tessa grows!

Thursday, December 2, 2010

Tuesday's Pink Rattle

Blogging is hard. There is always so much to say, but such little time to say it. I get stressed out when there is so much in my head but not enough time to get it all out. I feel like if I jump from my last post to what I intend to write about now...then I've left a huge gap. But then again, I also feel like if I don't at least write something, then that much more time is going to pass, which will leave that much more of a gap! Oh the dilemma!

Let me just say first of all, that we had a wonderful Thanksgiving! We were able to spend time with my sisters and my dad and their families and we all had a wonderful time. I ended up with a sinus infection and bronchitis the day after we got there, I indeed felt terrible, but what's important is that we left there with memories of love, laughter and the wonderful feeling of home! My sisters and my dad hadn't seen Tessa since she was in the hospital, so she got lots and lots of lovin. The cousins all had a really good time together and my sisters and Karen made some most-excellent food. I'm bummed that I didn't get many good pictures, but hopefully I can round up a few to post soon. Four months was such a long time to go between seeing them and I am so grateful for each and every one of them and the love we have for eachother!

Tuesday was a big day. We had Tessa's 2nd three month neurology follow up and it went well. We will be increasing her seizure medication from 0.5 to 0.75 three times a day. Darin and I have been tracking some unusual behaviors over the last month or so, and the neurologist agreed that they sounded like potential seizures. Tessa was 11 lbs 5 oz when we checked into the hospital 4 months ago....today she is 14 lbs 3 oz! She's a growing girl, which is fabulous news, and we'll just be praying that the adjustment to her medication gives her relief from the seizures we feel like she's been experiencing.
After Tessa's appointment we went upstairs to see Parker's pediatrician. Parker also has bronchitis, so we have started him on meds and his breathing treatments again. He does seem to be feeling a little better already!
After Parker's appointment we all went to Tessa's auditory/verbal therapy session at 4:00. The first 'Learning to Listen' command we have been working on with Tessa is to "shake - shake - shake your rattle Tessa." Ms Tami found a perfect little pink rattle that Tessa was able to hold on to. She worked so hard at therapy on Tuesday. We were so pround of how well she was doing...she had hung in the whole hour like such a little trooper. And right at the end of the appointment, Ms Tami said (sitting off to the side of Tessa)...."shake - shake - shake your rattle Tessa"....and I'll be darned if little Miss Tessa didn't give her little rattle the best two shakes I've ever seen in my life. I couldn't believe it....and then I couldn't believe that I couldn't believe it! I mean she is my daughter....determined to a T....how in the world could I have ever doubted her, I'll never know. It was such an amazing thing. What it meant was that she heard us the entire therapy session, working with her on the command and demonstrating to her how to follow through on the command. It meant she found the strength in her tiny little right hand to grab hold of that rattle and not let go...it meant that more than likely had been hearing the rattle shake, and it meant that after an hour of patience and dedication, she heard Ms Tami tell her to shake her rattle and she shook her rattle. It was a moment...a very special moment. This little girl is going to teach me over and over again how silly my doubt is...she continues to prove to me that, with a little faith and determination we can expect to see what, for the moment, we feel like we might never see!

Tuesday was a busy day...from the neurology appointment, to having to take Parker in and find out he had bronchitis...but two shakes of a sweet little pink rattle took away every care in the world. So Tuesday was a big day, on Tuesday we witnessed our own tiny little miralce!

That feels like a really good note to end on, so I will stop there for now. I just smiled while typing all that...and I just hope I never forget what it felt like to watch Tessa work so very hard and succeed at something we so easily take for granted. I am so proud to be a part of her sweet journey!

~Whitney

5 comments:

  1. That is so awesome, way to go Tessa! This post made me smile too. I'm glad you decided to share instead of waiting!
    -Brandy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whitney,
    I visit your blog often but usually don't leave a comment. However, the last several times I've been at your blog, I keep thinking about what people would tell me when they would come to visit my Donna even when we all knew her cancer was terminal. They'd say, "I really felt uncomfortable when I came, but Donna would always change that feeling."
    You have that same knack. Even though different, the situations were/are "bummers" (to use a poor vernacular)--definitely not what was hoped for, but you show having an immense trust in God and accepting that He will continue to give guidance.
    Your struggles and openness to your highs and lows are real, honest lessons of faith. For sure, I'm learning from you more about faith and love than what I could have ever possibly have taught you (about anything) in the classroom. Of course, you didn't seek to be the teacher!
    I continue to pray that God gives all of you guidance and strength and that he continue to allow you to see all the blessings in your struggles. I also thank God for allowing you to share your faith with those of us who gain much from your witness.
    "The Lord be with your spirit. Grace be with you." 2 Tim 4:22
    --Bill S.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bill, thank you for sharing your heart and such kind words. You have reminded me here, that Tessa's journey is so much bigger than us. A 'bummer' indeed, but thank you for being a testament to the purpose and power of her story.
    Much love,
    Whitney

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is beautiful, Whitney! Brought tears of joy... We were so thrilled and excited when Darin told us about the rattle the other day. Praise the Lord!! A wonderful miracle.... however small it may seem to others. We love you, Whitney, and the way you share your heart and faith (and doubt... which we all experience at times). Thank you for your willingness to be so open with your heart and thoughts. So wonderful to hear about your Thanksgiving with your family, too. What a blessing! Love you!
    Karen & Sam (Grandma & Grandpa Bynum)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Friends,
    I have followed your journey since Tessa was born. My grandson was born about the same time. When I see him, I am reminded to pray for your little Tessa and your family.
    The 'Pink Rattle' is such a wonderful post. When I was in the medical corp in the Navy, I took care of several children like Tessa. Each one of them had their challenges but it was wonderful to see each ones achievements. I can rejoice with you over this one with Tessa. Our God is someday going to give her a new body; one that is new and complete. Please rejoice that day is coming for each of us who have put their trust in Him. She will be able to have a regular conversation with you and thank you for everything you have done for her. God sometimes gives us challenges like this to know the wonderful blessings also. I know you are a blessing to those who read "Ten Tiny Toes."
    In Christ,
    Doris Davison

    ReplyDelete