I finally got a chance to go observe Tessa yesterday in class at her new elementary school! I got there just in time to see how they gather together in front of the office and make a line to go to class. Each child has to hold onto a ring on the 'ring-rope' and Tessa did an excellent job of not letting go. They also attach a ring to her stroller so she doesn't get yanked on in case the line gets to going a little to quick :)
She already knows her responsibility on the way to class and did such a good job.
Once we got into class Ms. Kayla and the Physical Therapist worked together with Tessa during play time. While she was working on standing, they presented her with two objects and asked her to pick a certain color. Every time she got it right, every time! They did a great job switching it up to make sure she wasn't only ever choosing with her dominant right hand, and she followed through appropriately each time. That's a smart little cookie right there!
Tessa has a sweet connection with Ms. Leslie, the district's Occupational Therapist. There were several times during play that Tessa found Ms. Leslie, and she vocalized to her every time. She worked really hard to get her attention. So sweet to see.
After play time, we loaded back up to head down to the library. Tessa got in her activity chair for this trip. And once again, held on perfectly to her ring the whole time.
See, I'm not a liar...she's still got her yellow ring going down the hall. Little Miss does not take her responsibility lightly ;)
Library time was great to see. Ms. Leslie helped Tessa work on sitting up during the story. Lots of balancing and good trunk and head control. I'm not sure how much of the story Tessa caught, but she sure worked hard to sit right there together with her peers.
Okay, Tessa is not concerned with the fact that "Clifford Shares"
In fact, Tessa could care less that "Clifford Shares"...
Ummm....it actually REALLY upsets her that "Clifford Shares", but by glory her mother is still going to get a picture of her with her first library book. She doesn't have to like the book...or even read the book, but pose with the book, yes ;)
Note: the tears have nothing to do with the book. Wednesdays are hard days. Adjusting to school and all her responsibilities, is hard work. The day before was full of fun and firsts...but exhausting too. So, meltdowns happen and it's just fun to blame it on Clifford ;)
Working so hard to sit up during carpet time and singing.
After carpet time, it was time for centers! Tessa started out at the sandbox. And honestly, by this point, it was exhausting for mommy to watch how hard she had been working!
After sand time, she colored, played with play-dough and worked on a peg board with Ms Kayla. And yes, by this point, it was appropriate to supply the pacifier ;)
As a working mom, I sure do not take these kinds of experiences lightly. It is invaluable for me to have a picture of what Tessa's days look like. When I'm working away in my office building downtown, it is so nice to be able to think about Tessa and picture what she is probably doing during her day at school. I was so thankful to Tessa's teacher and her wonderful staff for allowing me to spend time with them. It is impossible (for me anyway) to witness this kind of dedication to children and not get choked up. I had moments of some very intense emotion while I was there. I am humbled by these women's gifts to love, care for and teach children....especially our very special little ones.
~Whitney














What a great day! Tessa is ABSOLUTELY adorable. I just want to scoop her up and love on her in the photo of her standing ;-) So so cute! Looks like it's a great team she has working with her. I bet she loves school and her friends!
ReplyDelete