Matthew 11:28-30 (New International Version)
28"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."
I took a big step today. For many of you it might sound ridiculous, to others of you, maybe all too familiar.
About a month ago, I got a really cute black, white and green tote, embroidered in hot pink with "Ten Tiny Toes" to carry around all of Tessa's stuff: medical records, medical bills, insurance statements, therapy progress reports, diagnosis documents, my calendar and my trusted little 'butterfly book' that I keep all of my notes in from every appointment and every important phone call.
Today is the first day, in almost a month and a half, that I left my tote at home....on purpose. I have been carrying this bag with me every day to work. When I have a moment, I find myself analyzing Tessa's medical bills, comparing the medical bills to our insurance statements, calling to set up payment plans, working on another piece of our TEFRA application, reading and re-reading her SoonerStart therapy reports, learning what I can from the explanation of diagnosis documents, making sure we are ready for upcoming appointments, and familiarizing myself with the notes I've been taking at our weekly therapy sessions.
I admitted to Darin last night that I am drowning in the stress of it all. Every day I try harder and harder to gain control over each and every aspect of what it takes to do life these days...and I feel like I am failing miserably. The more I try to gain control, the more out-of-control I feel, in every realm. I just couldn't make sense of it all. We both feel such an overwhelming responsibility to maintain some level of normalcy in our lives, but for me lately, it has been to the extent that I have been robbing myself of the joy in my life.
I believe in God's plan for my life. I also believe that we have a responsibility to diligently act; from paying our bills, to taking care of our family and preparing for our future. What I realized yesterday (with the help of my husband, of course) is that diligence to the extent of worry and stress, I believe, is beyond what God desires for our lives. I feel like my faith is only as good as the joy and peace I choose over stress and worry. God's got this. That doesn't mean I abandon my responsilibities as a wife, a mother and an employee, but it does mean, when the burden is heavy, we turn to Him for rest.
So, today I left my tote at home. Today I am allowing God to lighten my load because I am weary and burdened and He promises to give me rest.
~Whitney
Picturing you with your bag made me smile :) I am picturing Vera Bradly of course. but I'm glad you left it at home - hopefully you will start to leave it more often.
ReplyDeleteLove, Kristy
Whitney,
ReplyDeleteI just recently found out about your journey that God has entrusted to you and your family. Your little man, Parker and Tessa are beautiful. She is such a doll and be sure that God is at work in her little life as in all of your lives. We certainly can't know the mind of God but we know who holds us in the hardest trials and difficulties. He is ever so faithful and I am so glad that He carries us when we can barely carry ourselves. Hang in there, you're doing great! Love in Jesus, Karen Funnell
Love you all! You have amazing strenth and fortitude that most people dont. God bless you in all your trials and tribulations. I admire your faith and willingness to let God take control. I believe I need to do more of that in my life right now. I pray for your family each and every day.......Parker,my little buddy, you are the greatest big brother! Love...Ms. Ardel
ReplyDeleteGood for you, Whitney! Love you!
ReplyDeleteKaren/Grandma Bynum
You are such an inspiration to me! My pastor is always saying that God is the only one that can take the impossible things in our life and make them possible. I completely understand your need to have some sort of control in a situation that is completely out of your control. I would do the same thing, but isn't it a relief to know that God is in complete control of this beautiful baby's life. She has touched so many lives, more than she will ever fully realize. Not to mention the lives that you, Darrin, and Parker are touching with your amazing testimony. So breathe deep and know that you are doing an amazing job giving this to God. We love you and pray for you and your family daily.
ReplyDelete