Well, on Monday afternoon, Tessa had her final Power Wheelchair Evaluation for the study she has been in for the last year. To say I am grateful for what the study has provided our sweet girl, would be an incredible understatement. I can't imagine what life would be like had we not had this amazing opportunity.
Ms. Lorrie came out on Monday afternoon to perform her final evaluation and we were finally able to tell her which group of the study Tessa was in! Lorrie performed the original evaluation in September of last year, then one at the 6 month mark and this final and third one, at the 1 year mark. We have had to keep it a secret which group Tessa got in...the control group, or the group that got a chair. Lorrie has done each evaluation based solely on the progression of Tessa's overall capabilities regardless of the study groups. At the very end of the appointment Monday, after all the paperwork had been completed, Lorrie said "Ok, what group was Tessa in??....I'm pretty sure she got a chair!" It was so fun to finally be able to talk about it! Lorrie could remember back to a year ago and how limited Tessa's mobility was in her arms and hands...the changes in this area alone, were almost enough to convince Lorrie that she had been learning how to drive a chair over the last year!
I was looking back through pictures of Tessa in her chair over the last year. The most striking thing that I realized almost immediately, were the changes in the expressions on Tessa's face over time. The first 2 pictures were from the very beginning of the study, in 2011, when she first got her chair...and the last 3, most recently in 2012. I know we all gain a little character and personality the older we get....but I guarantee you, the progression in Tessa has not just been in her ability to drive a power wheelchair...her progression has been in her discovery of life, freedom, fun and independence!
09/2011
11/2011
06/2012
09/2012
10/2012
They say a picture speaks a thousand words....I can't help but grin from ear to ear at what the progression of these pictures says to me. I have the cutest, funniest, happiest, spunkiest little girl in the world and I just love it that the Lord is maker of this journey, cause I would not have wanted to miss something like THIS!
~Whitney





No comments:
Post a Comment