While we are doing our best to stay focused on the positives, there have indeed been difficult results to sort through. SoonerStart's Evaluation helps determine Tessa's percentage of delay based on her chronological age and developmental age. We were told by Tessa's neurologist in the hospital that her mobility will be of great concern based on the results of her MRI. SoonerStart's evaluation of Tessa on Friday put emphasis on this concern. Tessa shows to have an 81% delay in her Gross and Fine Motor Skills. From what I can tell from the paperwork they left with us, this would put her Motor Skills around that of a one month old. Tessa also has a 44% delay in both Language Expression and Non-Verbal Thinking.
These are numbers, and honestly, don't mean just a whole lot to us right now (if ever). But we do understand that in order for them to track Tessa's progress, they need a baseline represented by numbers...percentages. We know that she is delayed and we know that we will have areas to work on with her....but like the doctors told us over and over again in the hospital, it will take time to know what Tessa's struggles will be in her life.
There is so much freedom in living life one special day at a time. God is a "lamp unto our feet"...I believe that this is God's provision for us for those times in life where the greater picture is overwhelming for today and overwhelming for tomorrow. It is by faith that we trust Him to light the way, one special step at a time. It is by faith, that when percentages are put forth to define the present, we can heed them only as starting points at the beginning of a path of many successes.
Today's One special success:
This evening while Darin was holding Tessa in his arms, she brought her very own tiny little hand up to her mouth to suck on her hand.......a normal progression and expected progress for others.....a profound moment met with sweet rejoicing for Tessa. This was the first time we have ever seen Tessa make such an intentional movement. So while their numbers and percentages leave room for sorrow and doubt....they also leave room for celebration of a special moment...celebration of movement ~ SUCCESS!
So yes, Friday was difficult, reality is difficult, but as I've said before and probably will continue to say....where there is sorrow, there are moments of joy, when we learn to breath them in and travel a path of many successes!
My sister encouraged me earlier today to feel free to post the things that people might take as a "charge to pray". Through this process of blogging..."posting" simultaneously makes things very real for me. I enjoy the posts that keep me hopeful and thinking positive, but I am trying to have faith that the sharing aspect of the negative, can have the same hopeful effect. So, for those of you that find this to be a "charge for prayer"....thank you for your love and support; and thank you for allowing this time of 'difficult posting' to strengthen our faith in the things God has promised us!
~Whitney
Your positive attitude is uplifting. Yes, God does bring good/joy with all sorrows. I will continue to be in prayer. Stay positive!
ReplyDelete-Brandy W.
Evaluations are hard for all of us, however, they are just numbers as you said. I know, I do the number thing in education for other children. Just as that evaluator doesn't know you and your family, they still have to tell you the "reality & earthly side of Tessa's life" but you know the Great Physician and his progrnosis is much different and a reason for joy in each event of Tessa's life. May God keep you and Darin positve, connected with each other and Parker; healthy, both emotionally and physically; rested and full of energy for the days ahead. God Bless and I love you, Brenda Lathan
ReplyDelete"The Lord my God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing" Zechariah 3:17 -- This is my daily prayer for you guys and sweet Tessa! I love you!
ReplyDeleteThe things we as parents take for granted everyday. Know you will never take anything for granted and that is a blessing.
ReplyDeleteJust imagine, you and your family will be so in tune with Tessa and all of her remarkable successes. I look forward to rejoicing with you at all of her milestones, of which there will be many!!! As I've said before your remarkable attitude is to be praised. Continue to trust in God and let him be your strength. Remember to only take one day at a time, even one hour at a time. My continued thoughts and prayers are with you all.
Beth
This scripture has been on my refrigerator for years and I read it for daily sustenance:
ReplyDelete"I have called you by your name [dearest Whitney, Darin, Parker and Tessa], you are Mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you, and through the rivers, they shall not overflow you; when you walk through the fire, you shall not be burned...nor shall the flame kindle upon you. For I am the Lord your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior...Since you were precious in My sight, you have been honored, and I have loved you...Fear not, for I am with thee..." [Is.43]
My continual prayer is that you will keenly feel His presence every minute of each day. What a blessing to know your thought, Whitney, that the Lamp unto your feet is lighting your way, one special step at a time! I praise God that he let you see in that light Tessa make the profound movement of her sweet little hand to her mouth! I rejoice with you and Darin over that precious success! I pray we will have many more Tessa Rayne successes to give thanks for and rejoice over! I love you 4 deeply and with joy!...Mom